Featured Articles ➔
What to Do After a Face Mask?
Face masks have been a staple for maskne and treating skin issues. If you think that face masks work now, just imagine its effects when you prep and seal your skin after using them!
Here’s everything you need to know about face masks and how to introduce them properly in your skin care routine.
Why Use a Face Mask?
Face masks are a great way to target specific skin issues with powerful botanicals. The key is using them consistently to really see the benefits. At the same time, it’s important to remember that face masks are not a substitute for other steps in your regular skincare routine, and should be considered treatments.
Different Kinds of Face Masks
Finding the face mask for your needs can be tricky. Thankfully, we have done the work for you! Here are some of the most popular face masks, what they claim to do, and how they really work:
- Charcoal Masks: Powered by activated charcoal, it works to absorb impurities and bacteria from your pores like a magnet. After using a charcoal mask, your pores are cleansed and refined, your complexion is more even, and you are well on your way to clearer skin!
- Enzyme Masks: Enzymes are natural exfoliators derived from fruits and vegetables. They are a very gentle way to smooth out skin without harsh, irritating ingredients that those with sensitive skin or pregnant women would have to avoid. It usually comes in the form of peels that need very little time to reveal your inner glow!
- Clay Masks: Many masks use different types of clay to absorb impurities from your pores, and soak up excess oil for major shine-control. All of this will leave you with a fresh face, and less prone to acne.
- Peeling Masks: Peeling masks remove the uppermost level of your skin with a chemical exfoliant. Once this layer of dead skin is gone, it reveals brand new smooth, glowy, and revitalized skin from underneath.
- Overnight Masks: These masks are actually worn as you sleep, which is when your skin repairs itself. Most of these masks are used for hydration, which can improve signs of aging.
- Sheet Masks: Popular in South Korea, sheet masks consist of a face-shaped cotton sheet that’s soaked in a serum to target specific issues like redness, dullness, dryness, etc. After the allotted amount of time, you can rub the serum into the skin, including the extra serum in the bottom of the package!
How to Use a Face Mask
In order to truly benefit from your face mask, proper use is key! Here’s how:
- Make sure to remove your makeup and cleanse your skin before applying your face mask. We recommend using an exfoliating cleanser from WOW Skin Science to deep clean your pores so your mask works even better. The plant-powered formula includes apple cider vinegar, aloe vera extract, vitamin E, and vitamin B5 to detox, balance, and hydrate your skin!
- After cleansing, you should tone your face to remove any lasting makeup, oil, or residue. Simply swipe a soaked cotton round upwards on the face.
- Finally, it’s mask time! Start with clean hands, and then follow the instructions on the specific product that you are using. For most masks, you should apply a uniform layer of product across your face, being careful to avoid your eyes and mouth. Leave it on for the specified time and wash it off with warm water. Finish with a cold water rinse to refine your pores.
What to Do After Face Mask?
Most people think that after they take their face mask off, they don’t need to do anything else. It depends on the type of mask, but there are steps to take after rinsing off your mask. Here are some tips to follow after using a face mask:
- If you’re using a clay based mask, toning your skin post-face mask will remove any excess product, refine your pores and rebalance your skin.
- The non-negotiable step is to moisturize! Some masks can really dry out your skin. We recommend using a thick cream or oil with hydrating ingredients like hyaluronic acid, aloe vera, niacinamide, and peptides.
- The final step is to go to sleep! The best time to use face masks is at nighttime before you go to bed. Getting a good night’s sleep after masking allows the nutrients your skin has soaked up to get to work while you sleep.
It might seem like an intensive process, but all of these steps will leave you with a glowing, smooth, and dewy face -- just like the mask promised! After just one use the results will be evident and all your time and effort will be worth it.