Featured Articles ➔
What is The Best Shampoo for Dry, Brittle, Thin Hair?
Dry, brittle hair is no laughing matter. It has the potential to become damaged and break, if left unaddressed. To avoid this, it's critical to repair and nourish dry hair right away, before it worsens. Heat styling, chemical treatments, sun exposure, and over-washing hair are leading causes of dry hair. To tackle this, we recommend you the best shampoo for dry and brittle hair. Ultra-moisturizing substances such as coconut oil and shea butter and strengthening vitamins such as biotin and panthenol are essential. It's also better to stay away from harsh cleansing substances that deplete your fine hair's oils and leave it dry. Following up with an extra hydrating conditioner would be of great help as well.
So let’s get to it!
Table of Contents:
1. What does it mean when your hair is dry and brittle?
1.1 Excessive heat styling
1.2 Chemical Treatments
1.3 Poor Nutrition
1.4 The weather
1.5 Wrong Shampoo
2. What to look for in a shampoo for dry hair?
3. What are the best shampoos and conditioners for dry, brittle, thin hair?
3.1 WOW Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo & Conditioner Pack
3.2 WOW Coconut Milk Shampoo & Conditioner Pack
3.3 WOW Red Onion Shampoo And Conditioner Set
What does it mean when your hair is dry and brittle?
Brittle hair can be caused by various factors, including excessive heat styling and medical disorders like malnutrition, hypothyroidism, and biotin deficiency.
Brittle hair is a mixture of frizzy, split-end, dull, dry, and lifeless hair. It manifests itself in various ways, from minor dullness to full-blown hair loss and breakage. Here are some reasons for dry, damaged hair:
Excessive heat styling
… such as using a blow dryer, flat iron, curling rod, and other similar devices. This might cause water bubbles to form inside your hair, causing damage to the shaft. Excessive heat, in essence, cooks and destroys your fine hair. It causes your hair to become harsh and brittle.
Chemical hair treatments lift the hair's cuticle layer and penetrate to the center, cortex layer. This layer contains the structures that determine your hair's color, texture, and strength and affecting it can have a terrible impact on the appearance of your hair.
A lack of protein and vitamins in your diet can cause your hair to become brittle, dull, and dry. Poor nutrition leads to damaged hair and can even cause hair loss.
Overexposure to the sun can cause dehydration, split ends and hair breakage. The summer months, though, aren't the only ones to blame. In the winter, the hot interior can make your hair excessively dry and brittle as well.
Because everyone's hair is different, a shampoo that works for one person may not work for another. As a result, it's critical to use caution when selecting a shampoo.
Birth control drugs, menopause, and pregnancy can all create physiological changes in the body. These changes result in a hormonal imbalance, which has negative consequences for your hair. Brittleness and dryness are two common side effects.
What to look for in a shampoo for dry hair?
If you have dry hair, the most important thing you can do is to moisturize it. It's difficult to keep dry hair under control, but if you don’t it might become brittle and break over time. Dry, coarse hair tangles easily, necessitating gentle, nourishing shampoos at every stage of hair care.
A moisturizing sulfate-free shampoo is the best for this type of hair, as using shampoos that contain hydrating elements can assist in conditioning the hair and preventing frizz. For best results, a shampoo for damaged hair should always be followed up with a conditioner. After washing your hair, use a nourishing conditioner with smoothing characteristics to help lock in the moisture. Avoid shampoos with sulfates, as these dry out the hair.
Here is a list of ingredients that should be avoided in shampoos for dry, brittle, thin hair:
- Avoid alcohol. Alcohols are extremely drying and can strip your hair of its natural oils.
- Keep away from mineral oil and petroleum. Used as lubricants in hair care products, they can cause your hair to weigh down.
- Steer clear of sulfates! The two most prevalent sulfates found in shampoos are sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) and ammonium lauryl sulfate (ALS). They are powerful detergents with excellent cleansing and foaming qualities, resulting in a rich lather. However, they have the potential to make your hair lifeless, frizzy, harsh, and prone to tangling. So always look for sulfate-free shampoos!
- Sodium chloride, aka table salt, is a thickening agent used in shampoos. This ingredient dries your hair and scalp, irritates your eyes, and triggers an itchy scalp. High sodium chloride concentrations can also cause hair loss.
- Formaldehyde is an antibacterial that helps keep your shampoo safe and stable on the shelf. High levels of formaldehyde, on the other hand, might induce allergies and rashes.
- Propylene glycol is an ingredient that aids in the penetration of nutrients into your scalp. It can, however, irritate your scalp.
- Avoid artificial perfumes and colors in your shampoos, if you have sensitive skin or hair. To avoid scalp irritation, use fragrance-free shampoos.
What are the best shampoos and conditioners for dry, brittle, thin hair?
Contemplating and choosing the best shampoo and products for your hair is one of the hardest things to do. But we can make that a bit easier for you! Here are our recommendations:
Both the shampoo and the conditioner are infused with pure Moroccan argan oil, also known as "liquid gold," because of its therapeutic properties.
The moisturizing shampoo and conditioner help to keep the scalp healthy and reduce the danger of hair breakage and split ends by delivering more nutritious vitamins to your damaged hair strands. It is also a great choice for color-treated hair.
WOW Coconut Milk Shampoo and Conditioner hydrates strands, while also sealing broken ends for beautiful, bouncy hair. The shampoo and conditioner set is loaded with essential nutrients that help dry hair regain its strength and health.
Red Onion Black Seed Oil Shampoo + Conditioner revitalizes tired-looking tresses. This shampoo is enriched with antioxidant-rich natural oils, such as Red Onion Seed Oil Extract and Black Seed Oil, and Pro-Vitamin B5 that wash away impurities and restore hydration for smooth and soft-textured hair. Get all of the ayurvedic benefits of red onions, without the smell.
If you have dry or brittle hair, know that it is not forever. These are some of the best shampoos for dry, damaged hair, that will help you achieve your hair goals! So get started on your hair transformation journey! What are you waiting for?