Featured Articles ➔
Is Clarifying Shampoo Bad for Your Hair?
Shampoo sounds basic as can be, everyone uses it! So what makes the numerous types of shampoo that line the shelves of our local retailer or beauty supply store any different? The choices seem endless with verbiage that can sound downright confusing. From fortifying, balancing, color-protecting, detoxing, to clarifying, it can be a mouthful just reading the labels alone. Your best bet is understanding what each of these types is.
Let’s focus on one of the most popular types - clarifying shampoo.
What Is Clarifying Shampoo? Is Clarifying Shampoo Bad for Your Hair?
First and foremost, what exactly is clarifying shampoo? It is specially formulated to reset your scalp, giving an extensive deep cleanse to remove residue and buildup. All the built-up dirt, oil, and product residue are removed, even what’s deep in your pores, to restore your hair to its pristine nature. It works to clarify the strands to prevent hair damage caused by excess dirt, oil, styling, or elemental reasons like UV rays.
If your hair feels beyond repair, hit the reset button with a complete clarifying shampoo, taking your haircare game to the next level.
How Does It Clarify? Is Clarifying Shampoo Bad For Your Hair?
The key difference between clarifying shampoo and your standard shampoo is the fact that it deeply cleanses to restore hair to its pristine state. Unlike standard shampoos, clarifying shampoos do not leave a residue, adding to the build-up you work so hard to get rid of. The key ingredients used in these powerful formulas are the magic behind their clarifying power.
Brands like WOW Skin Science utilize natural botanicals known to kickstart the healing process by thoroughly cleansing, leaving your hair extra clean beyond what your traditional shampoo will accomplish. Our best selling Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo utilizes the power of raw apple cider vinegar from the Himalayas, packed with the mother, aka all the nutrients your hair needs to be resilient, shiny, and balanced once again.
Why Use a Clarifying Shampoo? Do I Need Clarifying Shampoo?
Unless you suffer from a sensitive scalp, a clarifying shampoo will benefit anyone! Often used by swimmers to keep the effects of chlorine at bay, clarifying shampoo is suitable for all hair types to thoroughly detox and remove any pesky build-up caused by hard water, sebum, styling products that is making your hair look limp, lifeless, and dull. Bring back your bounce, and soothe irritation with a nourishing and balancing formula like WOW Skin Science.
Due to the powerful nature of a clarifying shampoo, you don’t need it as often as your normal shampoo. Use it once a week to cleanse build-up that’s built up over time, and reset your scalp to promote healthy hair once again!
What Ingredients Clarify?
The best clarifying shampoos feature key ingredients that are known to thoroughly cleanse away build up. Check out what ingredients to look for:
- Apple Cider Vinegar - This pantry staple is derived from the fermentation of apples, and boasts numerous vitamins and minerals. What makes WOW Skin Science’s formula special is that the apple cider vinegar is ethically sourced from the Himalayas, with the mother kept intact for optimal nutritional benefit. Apple cider vinegar works to balance your scalp and hair pH, while soothing dryness, dandruff, itchy, and irritated scalp. This multitasking miracle also fights free radicals, which causes breakage and damage to cells. When formulated into a clarifying shampoo, this incredible botanical does wonders to cleanse and balance your hair, removing the excess dirt while adding glossy shine at the same time. It’s no wonder that WOW Skin Science developed this sulfate-free clarifying shampoo!
- Argan Oil - Considered to be the gold standard of hair care ingredients, argan oil is derived from Morocco, where natives to the region have been harnessing its power for the use in beauty care for centuries. What makes argan oil so unique is its high potency of vitamin E. This ultra-nourishing oil has the power to restore and renew damaged strands by thickening and adding the necessary strength to boost your hair’s resilience. No wonder it’s the star ingredient of WOW Skin Science’s Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo!
- Almond Oil - This natural antioxidant, much like argan oil, is rich in nourishing vitamin E. As an emollient, almond oil can fill in gaps in your hair at a cellular level, giving your hair much-needed smoothness and shine. So while the other ingredients work to cleanse, having almond oil incorporated into your clarifying shampoo helps to rehabilitate locks and allow them to be at their healthiest state possible.
How To Use Clarifying Shampoo
Unlike traditional shampooing, clarifying shampoos are so potent, you don’t need to use it very often. It does an amazing job of keeping your hair free of any excess dirt and oil, clarifying shampoos’ powerful cleaning agents can be used once a week at most. This depends on how often your hair gets greasy and itchy from build-up, so use your discretion!
Here’s how to use a clarifying detox shampoo:
- Start with a dollop of clarifying shampoo, and massage it into your scalp with your fingertips to thoroughly remove the dirt and oil buildup. To boost your blood circulation and stimulate hair growth, massage your scalp with our handy shampoo brush!
- Leave it in for approximately three to four minutes to let the clarifying ingredients work its magic.
- Condition as usual.
- Rinse your hair out as thoroughly as possible to ensure there is no residue left behind. Preferable with cold water to seal your strands and boost shine.
- Repeat the process every week, and pay attention to how your hair feels.
Ingredients to Watch Out For
Just like the ingredients to look for, there are just as many harmful ingredients to be mindful of. It can be counterproductive to increasing the overall health of your locks if you’re using harsh chemicals on your hair. Taking the time to fully understand which ones to avoid and why can help you reach your hair goals!
- Parabens - This preservative is commonly found in hair care products, and can be easily absorbed into the skin and scalp. They come in numerous types, which ultimately pose harm to users. The risks of exposure to parabens include scalp irritation, drying, color fading, and possibly hair loss.
- Sulfates - Used as a binding and cleansing agent, sulfates are chemicals used often in beauty products to create a lathering effect. While they are widely used, it does not necessarily mean that they should be. Studies have been conducted to determine their effectiveness and potential harm with somewhat inconclusive results, but what has been found is that people with sensitive skin should avoid sulfates altogether.
Your best bet is to ensure the safest and most effective formulas for your hair, by using brands that stick to the most natural approach as possible.
WOW Skin Science prides itself on its 100% vegan and cruelty-free products - the Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo we mentioned earlier has no parabens, no sulfates, and no silicones. The plant-powered formula is backed by science and research to create the best formulations, WOW Skin Science does much of the leg work so that you don’t have to. When you buy, feel confident that you are purchasing the best natural beauty products for your needs.
In a nutshell, clarifying detox shampoo is the epitome of clean and healthy hair. It provides your hair with the much-needed boost of cleansing not normally achieved by regular shampooing, to truly detox your scalp. Normal washing, while great for regular use, cannot do what a good clarifying shampoo can do in terms of both cleaning and restoration.
Now that you are aware of all of the great benefits to a clarifying shampoo and how simple it is to use, be sure to start incorporating this product into your washing routine to truly see what a difference it can make to invigorate your locks. WOW’s clarifying shampoo is a great place to start!