What is a Hair Mask & How to Use It?
De-stress with a masking moment that your hair will LOVE. Any hair woe can be fixed with proper care and time, especially when using a deep conditioning treatment like a hair mask. WOW’s hair masks feature natural botanicals to nourish deeply, and work effectively to help you reach your hair goals!
Why You Need A Hair Mask
It feels easier to damage your hair than repair it. Color-treating, chemical treating, heat damage, and styling products can severely damage the hair follicles, causing dry hair, hair breakage, split ends, dull hair, and even hair loss. How do you combat this?
Hair masks are deep conditioning treatments that nourish and rejuvenate your hair follicles. Look out for hydrating ingredients that will replenish the lost moisture in your hair, especially for split ends and frizz. When looking for your next hair booster, keep a lookout for some of the most well-used and hairstylist-approved natural ingredients
- Moroccan Argan Oil - aka liquid gold is famous in the beauty community for its nourishing properties to leave your hair silky and strong. The Omega 3 Fatty Acid and Vitamin E rich formula strengthen your strands to help prevent breakage and split ends. Because of the exclusiveness of this ingredient, the production of this oil can be costly, thus making it highly sought after ingredient in WOW Skin Science’s Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo!
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - This kitchen staple may sound weird to apply to your hair. As a food item, we are aware of the heart-healthy benefits these monounsaturated fats have. As a useful ingredient to encourage hair growth, the penetrative powers allow moisture to be locked in while simultaneously creating a protective barrier. This process works to fight shrinkage and frizz, while also reversing the damage done by styling, color treatments, and environmental exposure. Try it out in our Onion Black Seed Hair Oil
- Coconut Oil - The ultimate beauty ingredient, this fruity & nutty oil is a staple in everything from haircare, to facial products, removing makeup, cooking, and so much more. The abundance of benefits when consumed or topically applied has made coconut oil all the rage in the health and beauty world. For hair care, coconut oil has been found to help restore your strands and stimulate healthy hair growth. That’s why it’s featured in its own range of coconut products, like WOW Skin Science’s Coconut Milk Hair Mask, which you’ll learn below how to use! Plus, the irresistible scent will take you to a tropical paradise, who can resist that?
- Shea Butter - Another popular ingredient in the beauty world, “shea butter has many potential benefits for hair and skin including moisturizing, anti-inflammatory, and anti-aging effects.” The protectant properties help lock in moisture, making it a must for coarse or curly hair. For centuries, shea butter has been used to alleviate symptoms of dandruff, dry, and itchy scalp with its soothing properties. It works to help restore damaged follicles without clogging pores in the process, thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties. The silky, slick emollience seals frizz, split ends, and moisture, making shea butter an ideal ingredient for any hair mask.
- Wheat Protein - works to boost hair thickness and by penetrating the hair shafts to aid in repairing damaged strands.
- Sunflower Biolipids - extracted from sunflower seed oil, this works to protect the hair from free radical damage, and repair any damaged cuticles by penetrating the hair shaft.
- Soy Protein - “The amino acids strengthen hair cuticles for enhanced moisture retention & smoother tresses.”
- Avocado oil - penetrates the hair shaft and strengthens strands to help prevent breakage.
Color Protection Ingredients
- Black Spruce Extract - “Rich in resveratrol antioxidants, which have been clinically proven to absorb the sun's UV rays that cause your hair color to fade.” Look for products with this extract, like WOW Skin Science Hair Mask For Color-Treated Hair, to protect the vibrant color in your hair!
When searching for the ideal hair mask, look for the ingredients that will cater to your hair needs. Target your hair concerns with a deep conditioning treatment, so you can improve your hair health. Brands like WOW Skin Science have tailored their formulas to provide the optimal formula of powerful bioactives that do the extra work necessary in restoring your hair to its ultimate form. Now that you know what hair masks to look for, follow this guide to reach your hair goals!
How to Use a Hair Mask
It may be confusing to understand where a hair mask fits into your hair routine. This potent, condensed formula works as a treatment. Unless you’ve got extremely, excessively, severely damaged hair, a mask is typically only needed on a weekly basis and even less for oily hair. If you fall into the extreme need category, masking after every hair wash cycle is recommended. Follow this routine for flawless locks!
- Shampoo, lather, and rinse your hair as per your normal routine
- Pat your hair dry with a towel to absorb moisture but not completely dry
- Apply a dollop of hair mask depending on your hair length, evenly from the tips to your ear. Taking it any higher will cause your roots to look greasy.
- Leave in your hair for 10 to 15 minutes
- Rinse out thoroughly with warm water
- Finish with a cold water rinse to seal the cuticles
- Air dry if possible to prevent heat damage on your newly conditioned locks
A little can go a long way, so work in portions so as to not use the entire jar in one use. Follow these simple directions and with regular use, your hair will shine like a diamond!
As with all hair care products, the best ingredients are from mother nature. Brands like WOW Skin Science strive to formulate natural, vegan, and cruelty-free products that are safe for humans and never tested on animals. Nature mixed with modern science has enabled the formulation of products that are able to truly provide effective results.
Consult your dermatologist if you have a sensitivity to certain ingredients. A basic patch test will illuminate this, by putting a small amount of product on your forearm for a few minutes to see if any reaction occurs. As with any beauty product, should you experience abnormal irritations, be sure to stop use immediately.
We're all looking for some nourishment for our hair, and the intensity of a hair mask is unmatched. Especially for those with curly, coiled, and/or thick hair, your locks will benefit from the essential moisture. Effortlessly smoother and frizz-free hair isn't just a dream! Hair masks are a beauty stample to restore damage to seemingly unsavable hair. Good luck!