Featured Articles ➔
Washing Hair With Braids: Useful Tips & Tricks
Braids are one of those hairdos that are always in fashion. Whether you like box braids, knotless braids, cornrows, or any other, you can never go wrong with them. However, while they do look stylish, they also make it a little tricky to figure out the best way to wash your hair.
Since braids can be kept for two to eight weeks or longer, it doesn't make sense to go for long periods without washing your hair. Long story short, you do not want to ruin your braids but cannot afford to neglect your hair care either. So, what should you do?
Table of Contents
Can I Wash My Braids?
The short answer is yes, you can and should wash your braids. Although there are many different answers when it comes to how frequently you can wash your braids, the truth is that depends on your scalp i.e., whether you have an oily or dry scalp and the type of braids you have. For most people, washing their braids with a good shampoo and conditioner every two to three weeks is a good practice.
What Shampoo Can You Use to Wash Braids?
As you will be washing your hair far less often than usual, you should look for a highly clarifying shampoo and a nourishing conditioner. Here is my recommendation:
This duo is a unique combination of shampoo and conditioner that address different hair care needs. Using this duo of plant-powered shampoo and conditioner will provide your hair with the nourishment it needs and soothe any scalp irritation.
The apple cider vinegar in this shampoo, obtained from Himalayan apples, helps balances the scalp's pH, clears the scalp and helps regulate sebum production. The shampoo is also packed with the goodness of nettle leaf, saw palmetto extract, vitamin B5, almond oil, and argan oil, among other nourishing ingredients.
Coconut oil is known for its intense moisturizing properties. The WOW coconut oil conditioner contains vitamins, minerals, and fatty acids, all of which help restore your hair to its natural glory and protect against damage. The presence of bioactive ingredients makes your hair feel smoother, stronger, and shinier.
How Can I Wash Braided Hair?
Read below the step-by-step guide to know the best tips for washing hair with braids.
- Instead of directly applying shampoo, soak your braids for a couple of minutes in plain water.
- You can either dilute your shampoo in a three to one ratio with water or apply it directly to your scalp. However, diluting your shampoo makes it less difficult to distribute it evenly and is less likely to cause frizzy braids.
- Choose a clarifying shampoo that thoroughly cleanses your scalp and helps dissolve and eliminate buildup.
- Massage the shampoo well onto your scalp for a few moments before you rinse it off. Instead of the usual massaging shampoo onto the length of the hair, simply allow the lather to run down along your braids when you are washing them.
- Make sure your scalp and braids are clean after the previous step. Also, ensure that you rub the braids minimally to avoid any frizz. You can gently squeeze the braids to remove product. Shampoo twice for a squeaky clean scalp.
- Next, take a coin-sized amount of conditioner on your palms and press it along your braids instead of rubbing. Allow the conditioner to sit for five to ten minutes to do its magic. Consider putting on a shower cap for best results.
- Wash the conditioner off and use a microfiber towel to dry your hair. You can either wrap your hair into the towel or let it air dry, but avoid to blow-dry, as it is likely to cause frizz.
How Do I Maintain My Scalp With Braids?
Tight braids can cause more damage than you realize. For instance, according to a study conducted in 2020, tight braids can damage the hair by tugging at the hair from the scalp and causing traction alopecia. Braids can also causes irritation, hair breakage, and even hair loss.
To prevent this, you can choose to braid your hair only as tight as it feels comfortable; if it starts hurting, tell your stylist to stop. You can also try reversing the direction of braids occasionally, as this will reduce the tension on your scalp.
To detangle your braids, only use your fingers. It will be more time-consuming, but it will also help retain the quality of your braids for longer.
Now that you know the best tips on taking care of and washing hair with braids, here are couple of two other hair care products that work excellently for braided hair, and which you can consider adding to your hair care routine:
Our Apple Cider Vinegar Mist tonic is an ideal option both for hair care and skin care. Thanks to ingredients such as natural apple cider vinegar, rose water, witch hazel extract, green tea extract, and essential oils, this tonic has intense hydration properties, so your braids will look and feel healthy.
To use this tonic, simply spray it evenly along the length of your braids and let it get absorbed into your tresses for your picture-perfect hair. Make sure to put it in your handbag so your hair can look good even when you are on the go.
Our WOW Hair Revitalizer is a leave-in conditioner that contains super ingredients such as extra virgin olive oil, sweet almond oil, Moroccan argan oil, jojoba oil, grapeseed oil, safflower oil, vitamin E, Bhringraj extract, rosemary, and tea tree essential oils. As the name itself suggests, this product will revitalize your hair and make your braids look healthier, smoother, more manageable, and stronger from the roots. You can spray it along the length of your braids, massage lightly, and leave it on the whole day.