What is patchouli essential oil used for?
Essential oils are a wonderful way to boost your wellness routine. Whether you’re a newbie or expert, patchouli essential oil is great to add to your kit. Read on to learn everything you need to know about patchouli essential oil and how to use it to achieve the best benefits possible.
What is Patchouli Essential Oil?
Patchouli essential oil is an oil that is produced from the leaves of the patchouli plant, a type of aromatic herb. The oil is produced by harvesting and drying out the stem and leaves of the plant before distilling them to extract the oil, or “essence” of the plant.
The process is similar for all types of essential oils that are generally derived from plants, herbs, or even fruits to provide health and medicinal benefits that have been used for centuries.
Benefits of Patchouli Essential Oil
Besides just smelling good, there are real benefits to using patchouli essential oil! It has antidepressant, antiseptic, aphrodisiac, astringent, deodorant, fungicidal, insecticidal, and sedative properties. Does patchouli help you sleep? Patchouli essential oil can improve how you feel by relaxing you and relieving symptoms of stress and anxiety. It can help with stomach upset while controlling your appetite. For hair and skin, it can help with conditions like dermatitis, acne, dry skin, oily skin, oily scalp, or dandruff. You can see why it’s an essential oil kit staple!
How To Use Patchouli Essential Oil
For every essential oil, there are different ways to use it and get the most out of the benefits. Depending on which benefits you’re focused on, some methods will work better than others.
Just keep in mind that essential oils should only be used for external use and should never be ingested. Can you put patchouli oil directly on skin? Yes, but you should conduct a patch test on your skin before using it topically, to look for any allergic reactions before introducing larger amounts in your routine.
- Essential oil diffuser: Fill your favorite diffuser with water, add in three to four drops of patchouli essential oil, turn on the diffuser, and allow it to fill the room. Patchouli oil used in this method also acts as a great natural insect repellent in addition to a mood-booster!
- Spray: Add three to four drops to a spray bottle full of water, and take along your outdoor adventures to repel insects, naturally!
- Beauty products: Add three drops of patchouli essential oil per 10 mL of liquid shampoos, conditioners, or moisturizers to benefit your skin, hair, and scalp.
- Mix three drops of patchouli essential oil in a carrier oil for an anti-aging remedy
- Is patchouli essential oil good for hair? Yes! Mix three drops of patchouli essential oil per 10 mL of carrier oil and rub into your scalp as a pre-shampoo treatment for hair loss and dandruff
- Dilute five to ten drops of patchouli essential oil in water for acne relief and acne scar prevention.
- Relaxing bath: Add three drops of patchouli essential oil to your bathwater for an amazing spa-like experience complete with candles and a glass of your favorite wine; add a few drops of patchouli essential oil to warm water for a foot soak that will help soothe and nourish cracked heels.
How to Blend Patchouli Essential Oil
If you’re really looking to maximize the benefits of essential oils and aromatherapy, you may want to consider combining patchouli essential oil with other oils to boost the benefits. However, not all essential oils go well together, so if you just randomly decide to mix a bunch of different ones together, you probably won’t get a great result.
What can I mix with patchouli essential oil? If you’re looking for a few different oils to blend with patchouli essential oil, check out these great options from WOW Skin Science to get the most bang for your buck when it comes to aromatherapy:
- Bergamot essential oil: reduce symptoms of anxiousness and irritability, improve overall mood, combat oily skin and scalp that are prone to acne and rashes, improve appetite and digestion.
- Geranium essential oil: reduce symptoms of anxiousness, boost mood, reduce acne and inflammation, strengthen and soften hair.
- Lavender essential oil: reduce symptoms of stress and anxiousness, soothe skin, combat scarring from acne, cuts, or burns, improve skin texture, promote hair growth, moisturize skin and hair.
Where to Find Quality Patchouli Oil
After reading all of these benefits and inventive ways to use patchouli essential oil, you’re probably ready to get started on your essential oil journey. So, where can you find great quality essential oils that you feel safe and comfortable using in your home around family members and pets?
As it turns out, not all essential oil products are created equal, and it’s generally not a good idea to just purchase random ones that you find on sale at the store. Instead, we recommend buying essential oil products like patchouli oil from reputable online retailers like WOW Skin Science.
WOW is totally committed to producing and selling quality natural products and our essential oils are all 100% pure therapeutic-grade. None of our products are tested on animals and they all come with a 60-day money-back guarantee because we are so confident that you will love everything you buy.
So, before you make an unnecessary trip to the store for essential oils that just might not check out, check out WOW’s wide inventory of essential oils and other natural beauty products if you’re really looking to get the most bang for your buck in terms of price, quality, and safety.
Final Thoughts on Patchouli Essential Oil
Now that you’re an expert on the top uses and benefits of patchouli essential oil -- it’s time to get diffusing! Just make sure to read the label on the products that you’re using and follow all manufacturer guidelines and instructions to properly and safely use your essential oils.
Once you get the hang of it, you won’t just stop at patchouli essential oil -- you’ll go all-in on creating your own inventory of various essential oils to naturally help with any problem that comes your way.