Is Tea Tree Oil the Strongest Antibacterial Essential Oil?
The COVID-19 pandemic has forced many people to take extra care in cleaning to remain germ-free. Product shortages and empty shelves in cleaning departments have forced many people to get creative with how they keep their space free of bacteria and viruses.
The good news is that there are still natural and effective ways that we can clean surfaces and stay healthy thanks to essential oils! Tea tree oil is a staple in wellness kits, known for its powerful antibacterial properties that make it a must-have oil during this pandemic.
What is Tea Tree Oil?
Tea tree essential oil is the extract derived from the leaves of the Melaleuca alternifolia tree. This tree is found in Australia, and despite its name, is not the same plant that produces the tea that you drink.
Like many essential oils, tea tree oil has been used in traditional medicine for centuries, and many cultures in addition to native Australians swear by its healing properties. Our ancestors were definitely onto something when they started using tea tree oil for treatment and healing!
What Are the Benefits of Tea Tree Oil?
The medicinal, earthy, and herbaceous aroma of tea tree oil actually possesses antibacterial, anti-fungal (think nail fungus), antimicrobial, antiseptic, fungicidal, insecticidal, and stimulant properties.
For skin and hair benefits, it can combat acne-causing bacteria and dandruff-causing fungi, refine pores, and soothe insect bites! Finally, it can be used to help relieve congestion and cough symptoms.
Is Tea Tree Oil the Strongest Antibacterial Essential Oil?
More so than ever, we are focused on staying healthy and germ-free. However, that has led to a shortage of many antibacterial products that you would normally buy in the store.
How to Use Tea Tree Oil
Now it’s time to explore the different ways to use tea tree oil! There are a lot of creative and beneficial ways that you can use this amazing oil -- it all just depends on your tools and goals.
Here are some of our favorite ways to use tea tree oil:
- Diffuse: Add two to three drops of oil to distilled water in your favorite diffuser before turning it on and purifying your space.
- Massage oil: Blend three drops of oil per 10 mL of carrier oil (like Castor oil) and massage into nails and toenails to combat fungus
- Haircare: Add three drops per 10 mL of shampoo and conditioner to fight dandruff and soothe itchy scalps.
- Skincare: Add two drops to a few teaspoons of aloe vera gel or castor oil and apply to skin to combat acne and soothe irritation.
- Foot soak: Add 10 mL of tea tree oil and three mL of olive oil to one liter of water for a relaxing foot soak to combat fungal infections like athlete’s foot and foot odor.
- DIY hand sanitizer: Combine 30 drops of tea tree essential oil, 5-10 drops of lavender essential oil, 3 ounces of ethyl alcohol or isopropyl alcohol, one ounce of aloe vera gel, and ¼ teaspoon of Vitamin E oil for a DIY hand sanitizer!
- In all-purpose cleaner: Combine 20 drops of tea tree oil, ¾ cup of water, and ½ cup of apple cider vinegar into a spray bottle and shake well before spraying onto surfaces.
How to Blend Tea Tree Oil
Even though tea tree oil clearly has amazing benefits, you can blend it with other essential oils to really maximize the benefits and get the most out of your aromatherapy.
The problem is that a lot of people don’t know how to blend their essential oils. Maybe you tried blending a few random oils before and just ended up with a mixture that just wasn’t right. Those days are now over!
Here are the best essential oils to blend with your tea tree oil, and the benefits you can expect to receive from them:
- Lavender essential oil: Soothe symptoms of stress and anxiety; soothe skin; prevent scarring from acne, burns, or cuts; improve skin texture; promote hair growth; moisturize skin and hair.
- Lemon essential oil: Soothe symptoms of stress; reduce swelling; smooth with anti-aging properties; fade pigmentation and scars; improve hair health.
- Rosemary essential oil: Boost concentration; treat pesky dandruff, head lice, hair loss, and oily scalp build-up.
- Bergamot essential oil: Improve overall mood; combat oily skin and scalp; improve appetite and digestion.
- Eucalyptus essential oil: Improve respiratory health; soothe muscle pains; calm nervousness and symptoms of anxiety; fight acne; fade scars; promote hair growth.
- Peppermint essential oil: Increase mental agility; boost focus and memory; calm skin irritation and itchiness; aid digestion; ease headaches and nasal congestion.
Where To Find the Best Tea Tree Oil
As tempting as it is to just go out to the store and buy some tea tree oil so that you can start enjoying the wellness benefits, that’s probably not your best option. This is especially true if you’re looking to limit exposure in order to stay safe and healthy.
Instead, buying online is definitely the better option, so you can research different products and brands before you purchase, while staying safe at home.
One of the best online brands for essential oils is WOW Skin Science. WOW is totally committed to providing safe and effective all-natural products and all of their essential oils are 100% therapeutic grade. We boast tons of positive reviews from customers but we also offer a 60-day money-back guarantee on all our products. Finally, we never test any of their products on animals, so you can feel good about the ethics and morals of the company that you’re buying from.
So make sure to check out our wide collection of quality essential oils as well as our other natural and vegan-friendly hair and skin products.
Final Thoughts on Tea Tree Oil
Keep in mind that as awesome as tea tree oil is, if you're dealing with medical issues and conditions that call for the topical application and use of prescribed medications, always follow the medical advice of your health care provider. If you're looking to add tea tree oil to your regimen, confirm its safety with your primary care physician if you see adverse effects from conducting a patch test.
As you can see, tea tree oil is an effective antibacterial that can be used from head to toe, and to purify your space. Add this oil to your essential oil arsenal!