Featured Articles ➔
Is Coffee Good for Your Skin? What Are its Benefits?
There’s just something special about a strongly brewed cup of coffee that can evoke all our senses awake and brighten any ongoing lousy day. Whether it’s in my home or office or a small cafe, I love sitting and sipping my favorite cuppa. Apart from uplifting my mood, it instantly perks me for an entire day. That’s why it’s so difficult for me to cut back on the consumption of this caffeinated beverage. Recently, a friend told me all about how this all-time favorite drink offers several skincare benefits as well. So for all of you coffee lovers out there, try a new experiment of shifting your coffee intake to your beauty regimen. Read on to learn all about coffee and its benefits for your skin!
Table of Contents
- Essential Benefits of Coffee for Your Skin
- DIY Recipes for Coffee Face Masks
- Best Caffeine Packed Skincare Product
1. Essential Benefits of Coffee for Your Skin
With its rich aroma, coffee makes for a wonderful drink and also offers several benefits for your skin. Here are a few reasons why the topical application of coffee can be a game-changer for your skin:
- Rich source of antioxidants: Free radicals play a big part in degrading the health of your skin. Coffee is an excellent exfoliant enriched with powerful antioxidants that can instantly calm your skin and create a barrier to keep it well protected. A study conducted in 2013 supports the suggestion that coffee can help in boosting the health of your skin.
- Provides protection from harsh UV rays: Extracts of coffee applied topically on your skin can effectively heal wounds and sunburns. Also, the rich extracts of coffee are known to have a protective effect against harsh UV rays and photodamage.
A study conducted in 2015 concluded that those who consumed a significant amount of polyphenols, one of the major ingredients present in coffee, had fewer UV spots in comparison to others.
- Minimizes the appearance of cellulite: Caffeine present in coffee enhances blood flow circulation and helps make your skin more firm and toned. A study conducted on products containing caffeine concluded that such products, when applied topically, can effectively diminish the appearance of cellulite.
- Fights against signs of aging: The essential elements CGA and Vitamin B3 present in coffee boost collagen production that further helps in keeping your skin young and glowing. Also, topical applications of a scrub or mask containing coffee diminish the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles caused by hyperpigmentation and aging.
- Deep exfoliation: Extremely effective as an exfoliant, coffee can effortlessly remove dead skin cells from your skin's surface and promote the regeneration of new skin cells. Chlorogenic acid, a compound present in coffee, works well to reduce inflammation around your eyes and puffiness. Cleansing your face with a coffee scrub can also unclog those stubborn pores making it easier to get rid of acne and its pesky marks.
2. DIY Recipes for Coffee Face Masks
If you aren’t shy of experimenting and have some spare time to try out a few DIY recipes that offer to provide your skin with a luminous glow, then here are a few of the most simple recipes:
- Coffee and raw milk: Simply mix the two ingredients and apply the mask on your face and neck. Let it rest for 15-20 minutes, then rinse your face with water. This mask can be applied twice a week. It works well to exfoliate your skin and remove dead skin cells.
- Coffee, turmeric, and yogurt: Mix all the ingredients well and stir them to make a lump-free paste. Apply the paste on your face and neck and leave it on for a few minutes. Wash your face with water. While turmeric, being antiseptic in nature, aids in keeping your skin inflammation-free, yogurt works well to cleanse your skin and provide it with a healthy glow.
- Coffee and lemon juice: Make a lump-free scrub with the two ingredients. Apply it on your cleansed face and neck and leave it on for 15-20 minutes. Enriched with the goodness of Vitamin C, lemon juice helps brighten your skin, while coffee gently exfoliates it.
- Coffee, coconut oil, and cinnamon powder: Make a smooth paste with all these ingredients and apply it gently on your face using a brush or the tips of your fingers. Leave it on for a couple of minutes, then rinse it off with cold water. While the coffee present in the mix will effectively remove dead skin cells, coconut oil will work well to remove impurities. Last but not least, the cinnamon powder is infused with enriching antibacterial and antimicrobial properties that can work wonders for all skin types.
3. Best Caffeine Packed Skincare Product
Fortunately, skincare and beauty experts have been paying close attention to the significant benefits of coffee for your skin and have been formulating a wide range of cosmetic products infused with this ingredient. So, if you’re someone who wants to try out the products infused with caffeine but isn’t in the mood to invest your time in these DIY recipes, then I have a suggestion for you.
WOW Skin Science has formulated an excellent body butter, which has arabica coffee as its star ingredient, that will repair your skin and leave it with an undeniably charming glow. This body butter easily blends in your skin and leaves it feeling light and breezy without any trace of grease. Also, the product will keep your skin firm, nourished and ultra-smooth. Wake up your skin and breathe some life into it with this body butter!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. Does coffee help clear skin?
Yes, topical application of coffee on your skin can help in clearing acne and blemishes as it is enriched with antioxidants.
2. Can coffee remove dark spots?
Yes, a homemade scrub made from coffee and lemon juice is what can work effectively to get rid of dark spots from your skin. Make sure to make use of finely powdered coffee and be gentle when applying the mask.
3. Is green tea good for the skin?
Yes, green tea's antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial properties make it quite effective for all skin types. Also, the polyphenols present in it help in regulating sebum production.
Do right by your skin! Switch your extra cup of caffeine with skincare products infused with it or go ahead and try any one of these DIY recipes. Beautify your skin with this wonderful ingredient and leave everyone around you guessing the secret to your luminous beauty! Catch on with the trend and let coffee create its magic to make your skin look divine and captivating.