Featured Articles ➔
How to Use a Hair Mask Overnight
Let’s be real -- we make a goal to do more self-care for ourselves, but actually doing it is another story. Doing simple hair treatments, such as to apply a hair mask, is easier than you think! Using such a concentrated treatment is a great way to revitalize and transform your hair -- all while you sleep. Fix your hair woes with an easy overnight hair mask!
Why And How to Use Hair Mask Overnight?
If your hair is looking a bit dull, limp, or giving you more problems than usual, you may want to use an overnight hair mask. The specific benefits of using an overnight hair mask do depend on the active ingredients used in the treatment. Overall, here are some of the most common benefits of hair masks:
- Reduce hair breakage by strengthening hair and sealing split ends
- Smooth out hair and tame frizz
- Add slip to make detangling knots so much easier
- Boost gloss and shine to dull, dry hair
- Add volume to limp strands
- Nourish from root to tip for healthy, and bouncy hair
How to Use a Hair Mask Overnight
If using a hair mask overnight makes you think of messed up pillows, think again! It doesn’t have to be as long as you follow these instructions:
- Clarify and condition your hair in the shower to reset your scalp and leave it ready to absorb the treatment. Pat excess water from your hair using a microfiber or cotton towel.
- Do not rub the towel on your head, as this friction causes frizz and breakage when your hair is at its most vulnerable state.
- If you have thick or curly hair, divide your hair into sections using large hair clips or hair ties.
- Take the first section and massage a dollop of hair mask into the roots first. Work your way down your hair all the way to the ends of your hair. Repeat on each section until you have completed your entire head.
- Run a wide-tooth comb through the entire length of your hair to make sure that the mask is evenly distributed and tangle-free for easier rinsing.
- Wrap your hair up into a nice bun and use bobby pins or a scrunchy to secure it to your head so it stays in place all night.
- Cover your hair with a t-shirt, or shower cap to keep your bed and sheets clean.
- Place an extra towel over your pillow just in case some product leaks out or soaks through.
- Go to sleep!
- In the morning, rinse your hair thoroughly with shampoo and conditioner to remove all the product. WOW!
Which Overnight Hair Mask to Use
Depending on your hair type and hair concerns, some hair masks will work for you better than others. Here are a few different ones to consider:
- Apple cider vinegar hair mask: If your hair needs a good detox, reach for a clarifying apple cider vinegar hair mask, like this one from WOW Skin Science. Product build-up and residue can make your hair dull and limp, stifling hair growth. Apple cider vinegar is fantastic for effectively cleanses your hair while maintaining natural oils and balancing pH levels.
- Coconut oil hair mask: If you’re suffering from breakage and hair damage from heat styling and chemicals, use coconut oil or milk to nourish and heal your split ends. Coconut oil helps supplement the protein in your hair while deeply penetrating the hair shaft with some much-needed moisture for thicker, stronger, and smoother hair.
- Avocado hair mask: Avocados contain natural oils that can help nourish dry and dehydrated hair. Avocados are rich in essential vitamins and minerals that can promote hair growth and protect against damage.
- Aloe vera hair mask: If you have an irritated scalp or struggle with dandruff, an aloe vera hair mask is the skin soothing solution you need. Aloe vera is an anti-inflammatory, meaning it can soothe scalp irritation and redness while moisturizing it to combat itchy dryness.
- Shea butter hair mask: Like coconut oil, shea butter is a great moisturizing component that can work wonders for dry and brittle hair. Packed with emollients, fatty acids, and vitamins, shea butter is an amazing natural conditioner that can truly transform your hair overnight.
What to Look for in a Hair Mask
When it comes to actually purchasing a hair mask, there are a lot of things to consider. Take the time to look at the ingredients of the mask itself. A lot of hair products tend to contain unnecessary chemical additives that can easily counteract the beneficial ingredients of the mask. Ingredients to avoid include sulfates, parabens, and silicones.
WOW Skin Science never uses sulfates or parabens in our products, and we only use vegan, natural ingredients for solutions that are effective! So make sure that you can actually pronounce a majority of the ingredients on the label before you purchase a hair mask.
Another thing that you need to consider when buying a hair mask is the company that you’re purchasing from. The company should be reputable and have positive customer reviews for its products to show you that it really works as promised. You should also pay attention to customer service. A company might have great products, but if it doesn’t complement that with great customer service, it isn’t worth patronizing.
WOW Skin Science provides 24/7 customer support and even offers a 60-day money-back guarantee because we are so confident in the quality and effectiveness of our products.
As you can see, using a hair mask overnight is easy to do and can be extremely beneficial to your hair. So before you go another day struggling with dry, frizzy, or damaged hair, take the leap and try out a hair mask that is specially formulated to combat your specific concerns.
You’ll be able to see the difference after just one use and you’ll want to incorporate it into your weekly routine to continue to reap all the benefits that they have to offer.