How to Prevent Acne: Stop It at Its Source
Acne is a common issue that doesn’t stop as an adult! Believe it or not, there are many unexpected causes of pesky pimples. So if you’re looking to be blemish-free, here’s what you need to know about how to prevent acne and stop it at its source.
Know Your Skin
The first step to preventing acne is to know your skin and treat it accordingly! Everyone’s skin is different and requires different treatment and products. What works for others may not work for you.
If you don’t know your skin type already, here are some tips to help you figure it out:
- If you have tight, itchy, and flaky skin, then you likely have dry skin. This means that your skin naturally doesn’t produce enough moisture due to genetics, weather, hormones, and/or stress -- so you will need to supplement with hydrating skincare products.
- If you have shiny and sticky skin that’s prone to breakouts, then you likely have oily skin. This means that your skin is producing too much sebum that can clog your pores, leading to pesky pimples and dark spots. You will need to combat this excess sebum by using products that gently cleanse, and rehydrate your skin with moisturizing products to promote balanced skin.
- If some areas of your face are oily (like your T-zone around your nose and forehead) and others are dry (like your cheeks), then you likely have combination skin. Cater your skincare routine for combination skin by using different products in different areas of your face to best address your skin concerns as a result. For example, you may need to use a product made for oily skin on your T-zone, whereas you may need to use a different product made for dry skin on drier areas like your cheeks. The extra work is worth it!
- If you consistently deal with redness, irritation, and/or blemishes, then you may have sensitive skin. People with sensitive skin don’t react well to certain ingredients in skincare products that contain harsh chemicals. For those with sensitive skin, it’s best to stick with gentle and natural products to soothe your sensitive skin rather than irritate it. Less is best!
Cleanse For Your Skin Type
Once you know your skin, it’s time to start with the basics of a skincare routine - washing your face. This crucial step means you should always make sure to wash your face at least once a day -- preferably twice if possible. Once in the morning and once at night before you go to bed.
That being said, you shouldn’t be washing your face with just any old soap (especially not plain hand soap!), you need a good face wash product that will remove impurities, balance, and nourish your skin. What does that look like and where can you find one?
WOW Skin Science has a variety of different natural and gentle (yet effective) face washes for every skin type. Here are some of our favorite options to try for yourself:
- Aloe Vera Face Wash: This natural product soothes and moisturizes dry skin thanks to hydrating ingredients like aloe barbadensis leaf juice, hyaluronic acid, green tea extract, calendula officinalis extract, and cucumber extract.
- Ubtan Face Wash: This vegan product brightens and evens skin tone thanks to a holistic blend of natural exfoliators like chickpea flour, turmeric, saffron, almond powder, rose water, and sandalwood oil.
- Activated Charcoal Face Wash: This deep detox will cleanse your pores to remove dirt, oil, and pollutants to reduce blemishes thanks to ingredients like activated charcoal, tea tree oil, and aloe vera extract.
- Vitamin C Face Wash: This exfoliating cleanse is able to brighten your complexion thanks to powerful antioxidants like Vitamin C, in addition to hyaluronic acid, mulberry extract, licorice extract, and aloe barbadensis leaf extract.
Tailor Your Skincare Routine
Once you have your face wash down, it’s time to tackle the rest of your skincare routine. In addition to face wash, you also need exfoliants, serums, and moisturizers to seal it all in.
If you suffer from clogged pores and dull skin, use WOW Skin Science Ubtan Face and Body Scrub to exfoliate dead skin cells, smooth, soften, and revive dull skin. To combat acne and revive your glow, use WOW Skin Science Vitamin C Serum with 20% Vitamin C to spot treat acne. Seal in your skincare with hydration to balance, and nourish irritation with WOW Skin Science Hyaluronic Acid Water Gel! As you can see, we’ve got you covered!
Give Skin A Break
Skincare products aren’t the only thing you put on your face -- odds are you use makeup as well, which could be another source of breakouts.
We recommend only using products that are non-comedogenic and won’t clog your pores, like castor oil! We also recommend giving your skin a break from cosmetics if you want to prevent bacteria contamination and pore-clogging. Finally, always make sure to completely remove makeup from your face before going to bed - no matter how tired you are!
Hormone changes from stress can have a negative effect on your immune system, which is necessary to combat outside irritants that can make you break out! So if you really want to prevent acne completely, then you need to take steps to manage your stress by releasing sweat through exercising.
Eat and Hydrate Properly
Another internal factor that affects our skin is what we put into our bodies in the form of food and hydration. It’s important to drink enough water on a daily basis to properly hydrate our skin. It’s also important to follow a healthy diet and avoid foods with hormones like dairy, and sugary foods that can cause unsightly breakouts.
Take charge of your skin health and combat acne with these tips! Progress might not happen overnight, but with the right lifestyle changes, it will be well worth it when you look in the mirror and finally see the even and blemish-free skin that you’ve been dreaming of!