Featured Articles ➔
How To Make Homemade Onion Shampoo
Onion juice is a simple, natural, and inexpensive home remedy that is highly beneficial to your hair. In fact, onion juice has been used since ancient times as a remedy for thinning and grey hair.
Onion shampoo is a rich source of sulfur, which improves thickness, stimulates follicle growth, and even boosts hair growth. If you are struggling with weak hair or dealing with mild hair loss, here's the ultimate recipe for a DIY homemade onion shampoo.
Table of Contents
- Does onion shampoo really work?
- Benefits of onion shampoo
- Ingredients required to make onion shampoo
- Making homemade onion shampoo: A step-by-step guide
- How many times a week should you use onion on your hair?
- Are there any side effects of using homemade onion shampoo on hair?
- Can you store homemade onion shampoo?
Does onion shampoo really work?
Onion juice is a one-stop solution for many hair issues, from boosting healthy hair growth to minimizing breakage and hair loss. A 2002 study, aimed to investigate the benefits of onion juice for hair, concluded that “crude onion juice gave significantly higher results with regard to hair re-growth than did tap water”. In addition, men tended to benefit more than women. So, whether you are experiencing uncontrolled hair loss or are simply seeking a natural way to keep your hair healthy and voluminous, you might want to try this natural remedy.
Benefits of onion shampoo
Onions are high in sulfur, which is required to synthesize keratin, which allows the hair to retain its strength and flexibility. Onion juice also cleans the scalp thoroughly, removing impurities and preventing buildup formation on your scalp. Additionally:
- It increases blood circulation to the scalp, allowing hair follicles to receive all of the nutrients they require to grow and flourish. As a result, hair growth is accelerated by using onion shampoo.
- It also has antimicrobial characteristics, making it ideal for treating dandruff and preventing scalp infections.
- Onion also has a high concentration of quercetin, a flavonoid with excellent hair health qualities. Among these is the capacity to increase blood flow to the scalp, resulting in softer, stronger, and shinier hair.
- It strengthens the hair, preventing it from falling out excessively or becoming very weak.
Ingredients required to make onion shampoo
- One medium-sized onion;
- An airtight container (in which you’ll store the shampoo);
- 3-5 drops of any essential oil of your choice – to combat the onion smell;
- A shampoo base.
Making homemade onion shampoo: A step-by-step guide
- To make onion shampoo, the onions must be peeled and chopped into small pieces, then blended.
- Next, add them to the shampoo that has already been poured into the bottle and thoroughly mix it by shaking it.
- Store the bottle in a cool, dry place (preferably in your fridge).
- It may appear and smell bad, but it will work well.
- Simply apply it to wet hair and leave it on for 3-4 minutes before gently rinsing with lukewarm water.
How to use homemade onion shampoo
Wet your hair thoroughly with warm water. Lather a generous amount of shampoo in between your palms before applying it to the scalp. Massage scalp with fingertips. Rinse and finish with conditioner to seal in moisture.
How many times a week should you use onion on your hair?
It is critical to understand how to use shampoo to achieve the best outcomes. As with any natural treatment, you must be patient. You will start seeing the results after using this shampoo for at least two months.
Are there any side effects of using homemade onion shampoo on hair?
Using onion juice for hair is mostly safe. However, if you are allergic to onions, this homemade remedy is not for you. But even those who are not allergic may experience redness and irritation. This can usually be avoided, though, by combining onion juice with an emollient such as aloe vera or coconut oil. If you are concerned about skin reactions, you should do a skin patch test first.
Also, if you’re uncertain of your DIYing skills, I can highly recommend you a great and safe alternative option: WOW Red Onion Shampoo & Conditioner. This shampoo and conditioner duo is infused with red onion seed oil extract, black seed oil and pro-vitamin B5 that help replenish hydration and leave your tresses smooth and soft-textured.
Bonus: you’ll get all the benefits of red onion, minus the stink.
Can you store homemade onion shampoo?
Yes, but only for a maximum of three to four days. I recommend preparing a fresh batch two times a week. Also, store the shampoo in an airtight container, in your fridge.