How Often Should You Wash Your Face?
While "mother knows best" is valid in certain scenarios, your unique skin type and needs have to be addressed! There’s always room to improve your beauty routine, especially when it comes to caring for the largest organ - your skin.
Understanding and catering your routine to your skin type will take your beauty game to the next level!
What’s Your Skin Type?
Before you determine how often you should be washing your face, you should first determine what type of skin you have. The key differences will help you understand how to care for your skin needs.
- Normal Skin - If you have been told that your skin type is normal, it means you’re in a grey area that needs no targeted ingredients for specific issues. This doesn’t mean a person’s complexion couldn’t change with the seasons or stress levels, but your skin feels normal at the end of the day (not oily or dry). The typical look of normal skin means little to no blemishes, pores which are barely visible, and no severe sensitivities.
- Dry Skin - The distinguishing characteristics typically include fine lines, noticeable pores, rough and dull-looking complexion, red patches, and flaky dry patches. Your skin feels tight, especially after cleansing.
- Sensitive Skin - Easily triggered by a number of irritants, like weather to beauty ingredients, sensitive skin is typically defined by red, itchy, burning, or dry patches. To combat this issue, you should be cognizant of what specific ingredients elicit this reaction so that you can avoid those allergens in the future.
- Oily Skin - If your skin appears shiny after a few hours, you have enlarged pores, are prone to blackheads and blemishes, and your skin often feels greasy to the touch, then it is likely that you have oily skin. Keep in mind that oiliness can change depending upon the time of year or the weather. Often, those who have severe acne are lumped into this category, since blemishes are often caused by blocked pores.
- Combination Skin - Defined as having a mixture of oily, normal, or dry skin regions on your face. Typically, the oil is concentrated in the T-zone area, which is the top of the forehead down between the eyes and nose to the chin. You may have larger pores, blackheads, and shininess, along with some dry patches by the chin or cheeks.
How Often to Wash
Now that you’ve identified your skin type, try sticking to these suggested washing frequencies to bring out your skin’s best. Even with a rigid skincare routine, there may be times when your schedule gets deviated from traveling, late nights, etc., but practice makes perfect!
- Daily - For those who have very sensitive skin, when just rubbing too hard erupts in irritation, stick to washing once a day. You can rinse with warm water in the morning, and cleanse with a hydrating or oil cleanser at nighttime to remove dirt and oil build-up from the day.
- Twice Daily - Oily, acne-prone, combination skin types, and those who wear makeup should definitely cleanse their skin in the morning and evening to ensure optimal skin health. The only time any extra washing is needed is if excessive perspiration is involved.
- Thrice Daily - If you exercise or generally get sweaty, wash your face as needed, between the routine morning and nighttime washes. Your pores will clog from the trapped dirt and oil and wreak havoc on your skin otherwise.
How often you cleanse is vital to healthy, vibrant skin, but so is what you are washing with. Since your skin is an organ, natural elements like free radicals can break down your skin barrier. Feed it with the necessary vitamins, nutrients, and minerals it needs to get a healthy glow again. The next time you are shopping for your next face wash, be on the lookout for some of these skin-loving ingredients!
- Apple Cider Vinegar - As a natural detoxer, raw apple cider vinegar works to combat blackheads, help reduce acne spots, and remove dead skin cells. The acidic nature helps to balance your pH levels to improve your skin barrier. WOW Skin Science's Apple Cider Vinegar Face Wash is perfect for thoroughly cleansing oily skin, especially with the soft-silicone brush to gently exfoliate those clogged pores.
- Aloe Vera - A popular soothing agent, many use this to help heal burns. In your skincare, it is a drink of water for sun-drenched and dehydrated skin. The moisture helps replenish and repair the skin barrier. It's no wonder it's the star of the show in WOW's Aloe Vera Foaming Face Wash.
- Vitamin B5 - This effective vitamin aids in healing blemishes and scars by nourishing the skin. Perfect for those who have acne or blemish-prone skin to aid in clearing up what is left behind.
- Vitamin E - A powerful antioxidant that works wonders for repairing cell damage from UV rays. When used topically, it can help nourish and protect your skin from damage caused by free radicals. It renews your skin to give your skin the glow you’ve been looking for.
- Activated Charcoal - This natural detoxer absorbs impurities like dirt and oil to be washed away. This superstar ingredient couldn’t be more useful in helping rid your skin of harmful bacteria and toxins! See for yourself with WOW's Activated Charcoal Foaming Face Wash.
- Tea Tree Oil - Known for its anti-inflammatory properties, tea tree oil aids in reducing redness and repairing your skin. This antibacterial fights acne-causing bacteria to keep your skin healthy.
- Hyaluronic Acid - One of the best hydrating ingredients in skincare, hyaluronic acid can hold 100x its weight in water to deliver essential moisture into your skin. It works to reduce fine lines and wrinkles by drawing in moisture to the skin. For those who suffer from dry skin, it provides much-needed hydration to reach your skin goals!
- Cucumber Extract - When you think of relaxation and rest, cucumbers on the eyes is a classic. Rightfully so, as cucumber offers soothing benefits to calm irritated skin, making it a staple in skincare, including body wash!
- Green Tea Extract - This anti-oxidant packed ingredient allows for the absorption of hydration for optimal softness. The soothing properties are ideal for breakouts and controlling oily complexions. Whether ingested or applied topically, green tea is truly a superfood that can do no wrong for the face and body!
- Calendula Extract - Typically used for its healing abilities, calendula is an antifungal, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial ingredient. It's ideal for soothing skin, especially for acne and eczema-prone skin!
Keeping It Natural
Now that you know what ingredients to look for, be sure to steer clear of harmful chemical additives like sulfates and parabens. These manufactured lathering and preservation agents can pose some severe reactions, especially to those who have sensitive skin. It’s always best to see which ingredients do and don’t work for your skin.
WOW Skin Science is proud to formulate paraben-free, sulfate-free, gluten-free, and cruelty-free products, so you know what you’re putting on your skin. The most effective products don’t need harsh chemicals to do the job. Mother nature has a bounty of ingredients that we can use to put your best face forward.
It's In Your Hands Now
The basics of this all is simple--most will need to wash daily in the morning and night to maintain a healthy balance to your complexion.
Gentle exfoliators either within the cleanser you choose or in the form of a brush or washcloth can greatly aid in the removal of dirt and oil trapped in the pores. To ensure that you don’t disrupt the complex balance, the use of naturally derived products such as the WOW Skin Science's line of products will bode you well. Their unique formulations have been extensively tested and researched to provide you the very best ingredients found in nature to provide you with the most effective products. What has been known for centuries regarding beauty is now enhanced and combined to help the consumer really hone in on what key elements are needed to treat whatever it is that ails their skin.
While a seemingly ordinary daily behavior, washing your face is pivotal in achieving the complexion you desire when paired with the right frequency and the right products in place!