Can You Use Onion Oil Daily?
If you haven’t heard of using onion oil for your hair, you’re missing out on an ancient secret for luscious locks. Popular in Ayurveda, onion has been utilized for more than just cooking. Before you cut up an onion and rub it all over your head, there’s a bit more to understand before diving in.
Here’s a quick guide on everything you need to know about why you should use onion oil, and our best tips on using it properly to help reach your hair goals!
What is Onion Oil?
Like other multipurpose oils, including olive oil and coconut oil, onion oil isn’t just used in the kitchen for cooking. Onion oil involves taking the juices from the pungent vegetable and combining it with carrier oils or even essential oils to boost its effects, and turn it into a helpful hair oil.
Even though you may have just heard of onion oil for health and cosmetic purposes, it has actually been used for thousands of years -- dating all the way back to ancient Egypt. In those days, it was thought that onions could protect people from the plague, prevent infection, kill off warts, and heal acne. Obviously, that was a long time ago, so what is onion oil used for in the 21st century?
What Is Onion Oil Used For?
With modern science, we know the properties that make onion oil so good for your hair. It is jam-packed with beneficial components like vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamin C, and sulfur to cleanse and soothe dry, irritated scalps. So what does it do for your hair?
- Combat hair loss and promote hair growth. Perhaps one of the best uses of onion oil is to help fight hair loss and promote the faster hair growth thanks to its antioxidant properties. Onion oil helps to nourish the scalp and protect from free radical damage that prevents healthy hair growth. It also helps to prevent breakage and strengthen existing hair for less fall out.
- Fight frizz. Sometimes it seems that no matter how much you moisturize your hair with various conditioning products, the minute you step outside in the summer, your hair poofs up. High levels of humidity can make hair crazy frizzy, even for thin and fine hair, and especially curly hair. However, onion oil could be the anti-frizz antidote that you’ve been searching for! That’s because onion oil is super hydrating and has a slick texture to seal the hair cuticles, helping them lay flat for less appearance of frizz.
- Prevent premature graying. Many people deal with premature graying as a result of their genetics, or have it come with age. Onion oil can help you maintain the proper pH levels in your hair and help prevent unnecessary graying as a result.
- Healthy scalp. Since onion oil has soothing properties, it’s a great way to treat irritating and uncomfortable scalp conditions that cause redness, flaking, and itchiness.
- Boost shine. Onion oil’s conditioning properties can help you strengthen your strands and achieve healthy hair that is incredibly shiny and glossy.
How to Use Onion Oil
In order to actually benefit from the magic of onion oil, you need to use it properly! Here’s a quick guide on how to best use onion oil for your hair:
- Pump out about two tablespoons of oil onto your palm.
- Massage the oil into your scalp in circular motions, and distribute to the length of your hair for about 15-20 minutes. You can either use your fingers or our scalp massager with silicone bristles to help promote blood circulation and maximum product absorption.
- Leave the oil on your hair for at least half an hour -- but honestly, when it comes to onion oil, the longer the better! If possible, leave it on overnight by pinning your hair up, covering it with a shower cap, and protecting your pillow with a towel.
- After letting it soak, follow up with a conditioning and strengthening shampoo, like WOW Skin Science’s Argan Oil Shampoo. Make sure to rinse thoroughly so that no product remains in your hair.
Can Onion Oil Be Used Daily?
If you lead a busy life or aren't used to a self-care routine, your next question may be about how often you actually have to do hair oil treatments in order to see results. The basic answer is that it depends on how dedicated you are to this new routine. If possible, we recommend using onion oil in your hair before every hair wash. That way, you can create a consistent routine that benefits your hair so that it can heal itself and start to grow back in more healthy and beautiful.
Make it work more for you by cutting out as much hair damage as possible. This includes no heat styling, washing your hair with cold water as much as possible, towel drying with a cotton or microfiber towel, and gently combing wet hair from the ends up with a wide-tooth comb. It may take a little bit of time for you to start seeing real results, but if you really keep at it and use onion oil on a regular basis, the results will be well worth the process.
What to Look for in Onion Oil
Unless you want to literally squeeze the juices out of onions and convert it into oil on your own, you’re going to need an onion oil product that works! We recommend finding a product that has been specially formulated for hair, like WOW Skin Science’s Onion Black Seed Hair Oil. Not only does this product contain 100% pure cold-pressed onion oil, but it also contains additional ingredients that are extremely beneficial for your hair including almond oil, castor oil, jojoba oil, olive oil, and lemon essential oil.
With all these ingredients working together, you’re bound to achieve your dream hair in no time! More than that, WOW Skin Science does not use any potentially harmful ingredients like silicones, sulfates, hexane, mineral oil, or parabens. All products are 100% vegan and never tested on animals so that you can feel good about what you’re putting onto your body.
As you can see, you can use onion oil almost daily in order to get maximum results. Just make sure to use the best products from reputable companies like WOW Skin Science so that the process is quick, easy, and worthwhile.