Featured Articles ➔
Best Essential Oils For Lips: Our Top 5 Choices
As a woman, I can tell you that it is impossible to have just one lip balm. Personally, I’ve used hundreds of tubes so far in my lifetime. However, most of the lip balms I have used contain substances that irritate the skin and cause unwanted dryness, which translates into the need to reapply more balm. Unfortunately, many lip balms contain chemical substances that are preventing your lips from fully healing and staying moisturized. So why not try a natural solution instead?
Table of Contents:
- What causes dry lips?
- What ingredients to avoid in a lip balm?
- 5 essential oils for dry lips
What causes dry lips?
Lips become dry and cracked for a variety of reasons, one of them being cold temperatures. Chapped lips can also be caused by:
- Dry Air: Even when it’s hot outside, the air can become dry, and dry air dehydrates your skin and particularly your lips, leaving them prone to cracking and chapping.
- Dehydration: If you don't drink the necessary amount of water each day, your body will become dehydrated and this will also have a negative impact on your lips.
- Lack of Nutrients: Your lips, just like your skin, get nourished from within. So make sure you add to your diet foods that are rich in essential vitamins, minerals and other nutrients.
- Biting and licking the lips: Lips-licking, while temporary soothing, can be very damaging, as it causes dryness, redness and scaling.
- Alcohol and other products: Using toothpaste and other lip / skin care products that contain alcohol can dry out your lips.
What ingredients should you avoid in a lip balm?
Many substances frequently found in lip balms not only dry out your lips, but can also cause skin irritations. Here is what you should avoid:
- Parabens – they can mimic estrogen and cause endocrine disruptions.
- Petrolatum – as it can get contaminated during production, it can contain harsh chemicals that can cause skin irritations.
- Alcohol - irritates the skin and leaves them vulnerable to environmental elements.
- Chemical fragrances.
5 essential oils for dry lips
First off, as a carrier for essential oils, I recommend using…
Coconut oil is a favorite amongst beauty enthusiasts when it comes to lip care, due to its excellent hydrating and soothing properties. It is rich in vitamins, antioxidants, and vital fatty acids, among other things. Coconut oil nourishes the lips and prevents lip dehydration by sealing in moisture. Coconut oil also offers some natural sunscreen protection, making it ideal to use as a base for your DIY lip balms.
As for the essential oils that work best on dry lips, here are my top recommendations:
#1 Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender essential oil is well-known for its distinct scent, soothing to the senses. Aside from that, lavender oil has strong antibacterial properties, so, when applied to chapped lips, it can help prevent infections. It will also give you a kissable pout by plumping up your lips. Dilute the lavender properly in coconut oil and apply the blend to your lips 3-4 times a day, or whenever necessary. You can also leave it on overnight for intense lip hydration.
#2 Jasmine Essential Oil
Jasmine essential oil is one of those products that you should always carry in your bag. Rich in vitamin E, it makes for an excellent lip care product. Jasmine oil, when diluted with a carrier oil and applied regularly, can help reduce swelling and speed up healing of chapped lips.
#3 Rose Otto Essential Oil
Rose otto essential oil can provide the TLC that dry, irritated skin requires. This essential oil helps soothe dry, irritated, and cracked skin, which is why it's widely used in lotions and lip balms.
#4 Geranium Essential Oil
If you're looking for an oil that will leave your lips not just nourished, but also silky and smooth, geranium essential oil is a great option. It is a well-known essential oil in skincare due to its beneficial effects on skin and, of course, lips. Combine 15 drops of this oil with 15 drops of lavender oil and a tablespoon of coconut oil for a soothing lip balm.
#5 Chamomile Essential Oil
Chamomile is one of the best essential oils for dry lips, due to its hydrating properties. It aids in the treatment of chapped lips, seals in moisture and even helps reduce the appearance of fine lines around your mouth.